Drunk Driving Accidents

Contact Houston Motorcycle Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer RJ Alexander Law PLLC to help you receive the compensation you deserve! Free Initial Consultation Call (832) 458-1756.

If you believe that a driver who was impaired by alcohol caused your crash, contact our firm to speak with a lawyer about your case.  We serve clients throughout Houston and Texas.  We can help you to understand your legal rights and your options, and we can discuss the steps we can take on your behalf.  We are available to provide immediate assistance.

Who Can Be Held Responsible for a Houston Motorcycle Drunk Driving Crash?

Under Texas law, a driver is deemed to be too impaired to drive if his or her blood alcohol concentration (BAC) is at 0.08 percent or higher for a person 21 years or older who is not operating a commercial vehicle.  If a driver violates either of these laws and causes a crash, he or she can be considered “negligent per se.”  In other words, the driver’s violation of the law establishes that the driver is at fault.

The driver can, in turn, be held responsible for any losses the driver causes others to suffer in a crash.  This includes the harm caused to other motorists, pedestrians, or his/her own passengers.

However, studies show that a driver with a BAC lower than 0.08 can still be dangerous to others on the road.   For instance, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says driver typically exhibit impaired judgment, coordination, and alertness with a BAC of 0.05 percent.  So, in some cases, a driver’s liability can be established by showing how his or her alcohol consumption led to careless driving, such as swerving or crossing the center line.

Can Other Parties Be Held Liable In A Houston Motorcycle Drunk Driving Crash?

The drunk driver isn’t the only party who may be held responsible for a drunk driving crash.  For instance, under Texas’ dram shop law, you may be able to sue the bar, restaurant, or store that served alcohol to the intoxicated driver who caused your crash.

However, your recovery from this establishment would be limited by a “statutory cap.”  Also, you would need to file your claim within one year from the date of the accident.  (Typically, you would have two years from the date of the crash to bring a claim under Texas law.)

In some cases, you may also be able to sue anyone who provides alcohol to a minor (a person under age 21) who causes your car crash.  These are commonly called “social host liability” cases.

Finally, if the drunk driver who harmed you or a loved on ewas working at the time of the crash, the driver’s employer could also face liability.  At Houston motorcycle accident lawyer RJ Alexander Law PLLC , my goal is to make sure that anyone who contributed to your crash is held fully responsible.  We exhaustively research and investigate all cases.  The firm will seek to establish your case through police reports, breathalyzer or blood test results, guilty pleas, verdicts, witness statements, receipts, expert analysis, and other evidence.

Our Lawyers Help Houston Motorcycle Drunk Driving Accident Victims in Houston and Texas

If you have been hurt in a drunk driving accident in Houston or elsewhere in Texas, contact RJ Alexander Law PLLC, to learn more about your rights and the steps we can take on your behalf to make sure those rights are protected.  Our consultations are free and carry no obligation.  Simply call 832.458.1756 or contact the firm online today.